Learn to kayak with members of Nepal's National White Water Team while running genuine river expeditions...
Experience the true adventure of Nepal while rafting Himalayan Rivers and exploring some of Asia's most unique landscapes...
Paddle Himayalan white water and explore Nepal via remote rivers, pristine wilderness & authentic villages...
Explore one of Nepal's best kept secrets while abseiling, jumping, sliding & swimming down hidden canyons & cascading waterfalls...
Karnali River - 8 to10 Days
|Duration||8 to 10 days|
|Departs||Pokhara or Kathmandu|
|Put-In||Dungeswar (17 hours drive from Pokhara or Kathmandu – option to fly Kathmandu & Nepalganj)|
|Take-Out||Chisapani (13 hours drive back to Pokhara or Kathmandu – option to fly Nepalganj to Kathmandu)|
|Class||IV/V (an intense thrill a minute roller coaster ride rewarded by remote pristine wilderness)|
|Season||Oct – Dec / Mar – May|
“The Wild West”
Nepal’s longest and largest river, the Karnali springs forth from Mount Kailash, a sacred river in Tibet – the center of the universe for both Buddhist and Hindu. Flowing south into Nepal, it forms the major drainage system for the western districts before dropping off into dramatic canyons raging with big volume white water and eventually flowing into remote areas of pristine jungle abundant with wildlife, birdlife and fish such as the highly prized mahseer.
The first half of this river journey into the “wild west” offers excellent white water excitement, commonly described as “a thrill a minute roller coaster ride”. The second half of the trip settles down into some more moderate & gentle rapids and eventually a relaxed float rewarded by pristine and unspoiled wilderness.
The Karnali River finishes at the famous Bardia National Park – a more remote jungle and rich in wildlife such as tigers, rhino, crocodiles, deer, sloth bear, monkeys, birdlife, mahseer fish and more...
Many consider this spectacular journey one of the finest rafting rivers in the world!
If you are looking for a truly authentic and remote self support river expedition with extreme white water excitement, combined with a long, peaceful and relaxing float into pristine wilderness – then this is the right choice for you.
Suggested Add On Adventures
- Bardia National Park Jungle Safari (only 30 minutes away)
- Fishing Adventures – this area is rich in mahseer prized by anglers from around the world
2013 Spring Season Departures
|15 - 24 Feb||
01 - 10 Mar
19 - 28 Apr
01 - 10 May
2013 Fall - Winter Season Departures
14 – 23 Oct
10 – 19 Nov
- Professional English speaking licensed guidess & safety kayakers, highly trained & safety certified to international standards in Rescue 3 WRT, Nepal Red Cross CPR & High Peak First Aid International Wilderness First-Aid
- Professional safety kayakers & back up gear raft support
- International name brand ISO certified rafting & kayaking equipment including full personal outfitting from essential paddles, helmets & life jackets to dry tops, wetsuits, dry bags, pelican boxes
- Camping accommodation (7 nights riverside camping / 1 night guest house during travels) We have top of the line camping equipment including toilet tents, shelters, personal tents, tarpaulins, mattresses, sleeping bags etc.
- Meals while on River (8 days = breakfast, lunch & dinner) We provide fresh, delicious & hygienically prepared food while on the river, including tea, coffee & hot chocolate as well as drinking water
- Round trip private bus transportation
- River permits
- Industry standard first aid kits
What's NOT Included
- Unrelated transportation, visas, travel documents, departure taxes etc...
- Local flights - note there is option to fly back from Nepalganj to Kathmandu at an additional cost
- Items of a personal nature (toiletries, clothing, camera etc)
- Alcohol and junk food
- Plastic bottled mineral water **we prefer to treat local stream water and help preserve our environment**
- Insurance **we provide insurance for our crew - but participants must be properly insured through an emergency medical travel plan**
- Photos **we may offer trip photography at a small additional charge - please inquire!**
- Tips for guides **if you feel that our crew did a great job, you are invited to offer a personal tip**
What to Bring
- Shorts / ½ pant
- Sport sandals
- Polypropylene / quick dry long shirs
- Swim suit
- Track pants / comfortable long pants
- Warm fleece
- Jacket (waterproof shell)
- Shoes (not big trekking boats)
- Pyjamas (something comfortable to sleep in)
- Warm hat (in cold months)
- Personal toiletries
- Sunscreen / sunscreen lip protection
- Water bottle
- Head lamp / flash light
- Personal first aid kit
- Sleeping bag (if you do not have one – we will provide for free of charge)
- A little cash for treats & tips
Karnali River Map
We had such and amazing time. All the guys were awesome and the food was just amazing. The crew had the utmost professionalism and the safety kayakers even had to rescue us after 3 of us were dumped in the river! We can not say enough great things about this trip. The scenery was beautiful and seeing all of the local people along the riverside was an unbelievable experience. We really cant thank you and the crew enough. Laura from Canada.