Kaligandaki River - 3 Days
|Put-In||Maldunga (3 hours drive from Pokhara)|
|Take-Out||Mirmi (5 hours back to Pokhara)|
|Class||III+/IV+ (a fun and bouncy pool drop river with lots of wave trains)|
|Season||Sep - Dec / Mar - June|
“The Mighty Kali”
Named after “Kali” the goddess of destruction, the Kaligandaki is said to be one of Nepal’s most holy rivers. Beginning its journey high on the Tibetan Plateau in Mustang, the “Mighty Kali” plunges down through the Himalayas, carving into one of the deepest gorges in the world between Dhaulagiri and Annapurna.
With exciting white water rapids, spectacular mountain views, traditional villages, endless suspension bridges, waterfalls, jungle corridor rich in wildlife, deep gorges, cultural temples and beautiful white sandy beaches for camp, we consider this to be the best all round river adventure in Nepal.
If you are looking for a good & exciting white water camping adventure with a variety of Nepal’s spectacular landscapes – then you cannot go wrong with the Mighty Kaligandaki!
Suggested Add On Adventures
- Trekking – Trek your way in or around the famous Annapurnas and meet us at the put-in!
- Mountain Biking – Cycle from Jomsom or the entire Annapurna Circuit and meet us at the put-in!
- Hike, Bike & Raft – a total multi-sport adventure! Trek the Annapurna Circuit as far as Jomsom, cycle from Jomsom to Beni and then raft the Kaligandaki. And if you still have any energy left, consider cycling all the way back to Pokhara!?
- Continue your journey to Tansen and eventually make your way to Lumbini – birth place of Buddha
2013 Winter - Spring Season Departures
03 – 05 Dec
|04 – 06 Jan
08 – 10 Jan
12 – 14 Jan
16 – 18 Jan
20 – 22 Jan
24 – 26 Jan
28 – 30 Jan
|01 – 03 Feb
05 – 07 Feb
09 – 11 Feb
13 – 15 Feb
19 – 21 Feb
21 – 23 Feb
25 – 27 Feb
03 – 05 Mar
02 – 04 Apr
05 – 07 May
01 – 03 Jun
Note - trips in bold are filling up.
2013 Fall - Winter Season Departures
08 – 10 Sep
02 – 04 Oct
03 – 05 Nov
01 – 03 Dec
Note - trips in bold are filling up.
- Professional English speaking licensed guidess & safety kayakers, highly trained & safety certified to international standards in Rescue 3 WRT, Nepal Red Cross CPR & High Peak First Aid International Wilderness First-Aid
- Professional safety kayakers & necessary gear boat back up crew
- International name brand ISO certified rafting & kayaking equipment including full personal outfitting from essential paddles, helmets & life jackets to dry tops, wetsuits, dry bags, pelican boxes
- Camping accommodation (2 nights) We have top of the line camping equipment including toilet tents, shelters, personal tents, tarpaulins, mattresses, sleeping bags etc.
- Meals (day 1 = lunch & dinner / day 2 = breakfast, lunch & dinner / day 3 = breakfast & lunch) We provide fresh, delicious & hygienically prepared food while on the river, including tea, coffee & hot chocolate as well as drinking water
- Round trip private bus transportation
- River permits
- Industry standard first aid kits
What's NOT Included
- Unrelated transportation, visas, travel documents, departure taxes etc...
- Items of a personal nature (toiletries, clothing, camera etc)
- Alcohol and junk food
- Plastic bottled mineral water **we prefer to treat local stream water and help preserve our environment**
- Insurance **we provide insurance for our crew - but participants must be properly insured through an emergency medical travel plan**
- Photos **we may offer trip photography at a small additional cost - please inquire!**
- Tips for guides **if you feel that our crew did a great job, you are invited to offer a personal tip**
What to Bring
- Shorts / ½ pant
- Sport sandals
- Polypropylene / quick dry long shirs
- Swim suit
- Track pants / comfortable long pants
- Warm fleece
- Jacket (waterproof shell)
- Shoes (not big trekking boats)
- Pyjamas (something comfortable to sleep in)
- Warm hat (in cold months)
- Personal toiletries
- Sunscreen / sunscreen lip protection
- Water bottle
- Head lamp / flash light
- Personal first aid kit
- Sleeping bag (if you do not have one – we will provide for free of charge)
- A little cash for treats & tips
Kaligandaki River Map
The Kaligandaki River was exactly what I was after... three days into the wilderness brought charm to my short trip. Jon from Iceland.